So I’ve had people ask me, as I’m compiling this weekly Thursday step-aside to showcase ten Times Union bloggers and their works, “How do you determine the ‘Read This First’ entry when you’re trying to showcase all these blogs?”
I think that the Times Union has a great collection of independent community bloggers, those that aren’t as adequately promoted by the TU as are their staff bloggers. I mean, tell me – when was the last time the TU’s Facebook page went out of its way to showcase a blog from a community blogger as opposed to the latest musings from one of its staffers?
That being said, I also use the ‘Read This First” to start off the quality and overview of these bloggers – not because one blog is better than the others, but because one blog should encourage you to not only enjoy it, but also to enjoy the others who devote their time and talent to this portal.
And with that egalitarian statement out of the way, let’s get at this week’s blog collection, shall we?
Starting off with:
- Sara Rose Wheeler’s “Roaring Twenties” blog, “The time I worked at Home Depot.” (Read this first.)
- Assemblyman John T. McDonald’s blog, “Combating Campus Sexual Assault across New York.“
- Rob Hoffman’s “Hoffman Files” blog, “A Dad to remember on Father’s Day.“
- Sonja Stark’s “PilotGirl” blog, “Listening to gold at Silver Bay.“
- Michael Wayne in the “Holistic Health” blog, “The Happiest Man in New York.“
- Brian Huba’s “Cat’s Pajamas” blog, “Stupid strikes again.“
- Fran Rossi Scpylczyn’s “There Will Be Bread” blog, “Justify my hate…“
- Derek Hempstead in the high school blog, “Let’s talk about senioritis.“
- Carl Strock’s blog, “Race and sex.“
- Lawrence White’s “Field of View” blog, “NICHOLAS LAW PASSES.“
See, reading the Times Union’s community blogs is like eating your favorite potato chips. You can’t stop with just one. Trust me on this!